4/29/2024

Puglia and Sicily







































 

  1. Those who leave their own comfort zone succeed.


5 days in Puglia….Italy’s undiscovered heel.
15 days in Sicily…..uncompromising high quality of cuisine, I gained 14 pounds!!c


In Puglia we went to Matera and Lecce, both incredibly beautiful destinations.

In Sicily we circumnavigated most of the island, see map below.It is an island of ancient landscapes  and timeless traditions.
Here, life is lived full-on, and for the moment. It is overloaded with art treasures and natural beauty. Sicily is complex, continuously struggling with Mafia-driven corruption. We participated in a conversation about Sicilian Mafia with experts of sons of former crime bosses.
Sicily’s strategic importance in WW2 was fascinating!
Music played by a talented musician playing a cello in the Jewish museum was extraordinary as well as music played on many different instruments that were taught to another  young man by shepherds.
Tears rolled down our eyes when an older gentleman surprised us and  belted out  “Volare” and softly crooned "I Did it my Way”  
Dino and Frank would have applauded. 
Because Sicily is so complex I am not even going to attempt to write the details of all the locations we visited and the beautiful cultural richness that we exchanged with so many.  I have included a few of the over 200 photos I shot. (pun intended)
The map illustrates Sicilian locations we spent time.

So my friends, in closing,  …...“Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me.” 



No comments: