4/15/2007

Sounds of Silence-Simon & Garfunkle

"All Come to Look for America"

In the sixth grade Paul and Art met while performing in Alice in Wonderland, a school play in New York City. They first performed in the 50s as Tom & Jerry.

"Tom get your plane right on time.I know your part'll go fine.Fly down to Mexicooooo. The only living boy in New York."

Fifty years later the old friends were at America West Arena in Phoenix on a nation wide concert tour. Thirty four years ago, two friends in Reno Nevada played and listened to Simon & Garfunkle albums into the wee hours of the night.

"Time it was, And what a time it was, It was....A time of innocence, A time of confidences."

Last Sunday evening it all came together. Paul and Art had finally broken the silence after breaking up more than three decades ago. They have had a fractious relationship since.

"And a rock feels no pain;And an island never cries."

They opened with "Old Friends" and slowly worked the full house into a mellow frenzy. Garfunkle beamed with joy as he surveyed the crowd.

"Home where my thought's escaping, Home where my music's playing."

Two songs into the set, I looked over at Gerry and watched tears stream down her cheeks.

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?A nation turns it lonely eyes on you."

Garfunkle frequently talked to the crowd and mentioned several times how happy he was to be reunited with Paul. The master craftsman Paul, spoke rarely but at one point talked about their relationship and how he had won at least 70% of the arguments spanning the 50 years.

"And so you see I have come to doubt All that I once held as trueI stand alone without beliefsThe only truth I know is you."

The large screens displayed fun shots of the boys in their youth and clips of Benjamin Braddock and Mrs. Robinson.

"And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson, Jesus loves you more than you will know."

Their patented sound was as harmonious as ever.After six songs, came a special surprise. Paul introduced the Kings of Harmony-The Everly Brothers!

"Bye Bye LoveBye Bye Happines Hello loneliness, I think I'm going to cry."

Phil and Don wailed out four of their signature songs including, All I have to do is Dream".Art & Paul returned and performed "The leaves that are green turn to brown". This was the first time that they had played this great song in concert since 1967.

"Here is my song for the askingAsk me and I will play"

They continued playing all their folk rock that has spanned five generations---- and then it was over way too soon.

"Remember me to one who lives there. She once was a true love of mine."

The crowd would not let them go, knowing that this was it, they probably would never return together.They double encored with "Cecelia", "The Boxer" and closed out with "Feelin Groovy"

"Life I love you, All is groovy"

We walked to our car holding hands, saying nothing. In my pocket I clutched my souveneir ticket keychain.

"And the signs said The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls And tenament halls. And whispered in The Sounds Of Silence".

El Condor Pasa-----And the leaves that are green turn to brown-ELG

No comments: